Responsibility, a love for teaching and a passion for education.
Those were descriptions echoed over and over at the annual Muskingum Valley Educational Service Center’s Exemplary Educator Awards breakfast.
Sixteen teachers from seventeen school districts covered by the MVESC were awarded with $400 for their dedication to education and children.
"I was very excited and very humbled because I work with so many wonderful people," said Tri-Valley 3rd Grade Teacher Mary Tyo. "I’ve worked with a lot of people that have been very deserving of this award."
While some thanked co-workers and family. Others thanked their own teachers for helping them find direction. Michelle Hoskinson teaches special education pre-school for the Educational Service Center at Starlight.
"Never did I imagine I’d be going into special education preschool," said Hoskinson. "When I was in undergrad at Muskingum College my advisor felt that I belonged in that field and through all the fighting and tears she had me student teach there and I fell in love and I’ve been there and I fell in love and I’ve been there ever since."
Then their are the teachers watching their own children join the profession that’s been such a big part of their lives. Lisa Forgraves son is currently a teacher and her daughter is going to school for teaching.
"They know everything that goes into what it takes to be a teacher. They know how long we stay after school and stuff we bring home to grade," said Forgraves. "But, they also see the parts that really set us on fire that makes us happy to be teachers."
Along with the exemplary educators the MVESC also honored three aspiring administrators with $900 annually for three years. Monday’s ceremony took place at Zanesville High School.
The following is a list of honored teachers.
- Shannon Folkert, Coshocton City Schools
- Tim Kilpatrick, Coshocton County Career Center
- Will Sheets, Crooksville Exempted Village Schools
- Kim Spillman, East Muskingum Local Schools
- Cassie Clayton, Franklin Local Schools
- Jesse Rupe, Maysville Local Schools
- Adreanna Winland, Mid-East Career and Technology Centers
- Cindy Barringer, Morgan Local Schools
- Michelle Hoskinson, Muskingum Valley ESC
- Kim Harley, New Lexington City Schools
- Lisa Forgrave, Norther Local Schools
- Sonda Bates, Ridgewood Local Schools
- Lisa Lupher, River View Local Schools
- Mary Tyo, Tri-Valley Local Schools
- Miranda Ketcham, West Muskingum Local Schools
- Joan Armstrong, Zanesville Middle School
- Jeffrey Bragg, Morgan Local Schools
- Trista Claxon, Ridgewood Local Schools
- Jesse Smoulder, River View Local Schools