One woman is dead today after a fatal fire ripped through a duplex home. Local fire crews were called to 545 ½ Dryden Road early this morning where they found flames, and black smoke overtaking the two-story residence. Three small children and their mother made it out of the house safely. The occupant in the upstairs apartment did not make it out and was the only fatality. She is identified as 22-year-old Junita Newell. Zanesville fire officials are continuing to sift through the blackened remains in search of the cause. The State Fire Marshall was also on hand to perform an investigation. He is performing a preliminary investigation at the moment, and Assistant Fire Chief Craig Stemm says that crews could not find any smoke detectors in the home, and that there were space heaters and extension cords present that may have been a factor in the cause of the blaze. Officials do know that the fire began in the downstairs area. The Zanesville Fire Department wants to remind the community that smoke detectors are an important life saving tool and are free to those in need of one at the fire station. Call the ZFD at 455-0700.