Update: Putnam Avenue Fire

POSTED BY: Nichole Hannahs
Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 08:42 AM
Putnam Avenue Fire

Thanksgiving Day begins tragically for one local family as they lose their home to fire.

The Zanesville Fire Department was dispatched to the home of Laura Davis, David Kennedy and Chasity and Lynn Davis around 4:30 Thursday morning when smoke was reported in the rear of the home at 1033 Putnam Avenue.

"Upon arrival, crews found heavy smoke showing from the rear of the structure and some flames from the front. At that time, it wasn't known if there were any occupants inside," said Lt. Marty Mercer of the Zanesville Fire Department.

All occupants of the home escaped with one suffering a burn on her arm. She was treated at the scene. A firefighter also suffered a cut to the hand.

"His hand was cut with glass while searching for victims,'' he said. "The occupant of the home, while cooking tried to extinguish the fire and got burns to her face and hand."

The Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary lodging, food and clothing.

The Zanesville Fire Department says the fire was due to grease from cooking and originated in the kitchen.

It has been ruled an accident.


For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: