Space Heater Cause of Camper Fire

POSTED BY: Emily Baird
Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 07:01 PM
Cause of Fire

The Muskingum Valley Red Cross says it knows the cause of a New Year's fire.

The Zanesville Fire Department was called to 913 Goddard Road to handle a camper that had caught fire.

Executive Director, Dan Hartman, says an individual staying at the home had put a blanket on a supplemental heating source.

"This is the time of year a lot of folks are using supplemental heat. The problem is getting flammable materials way too close to it. That's what happened on Goddard, " says Hartman.

Hartman says all six individuals living in the camper were not injured in the incident, but he says some individuals aren't so lucky.

"What's scary is the history of this community. Supplemental heat has killed, fires have killed people, " says Hartman.

The Red Cross is still providing aid to the family.


For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZscores      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: