Intense Fire Destroys Zanesville Home

POSTED BY: Emily Baird
Monday, March 22, 2010 - 05:55 PM
1 / 4

Intense Fire

A fire destroys a Zanesville family's home this morning.

It happened around 10:15 a.m. at 163 Pine Street.

It may have been a cloudy start to the morning, but you could seem smoke billowing from the Pine Street home from a few miles away.

"We actually saw a lot of smoke when we turned onto Main Street from the downtown station, " says Zanesville Fire Chief Dave Lacy.

The Zanesville Fire Department arrived on the scene to find flames spewing from the rear and side windows of the home. Lacy says it appears the fire started in the kitchen on the first floor of the home, but it was able to make its way up to the second story because of what Lacy is calling the home's balloon-type structure.

"It simply allowed the fire to expand pretty rapidly. My understanding form one of the officer's that's inside is that the fire extended to the second floor primarily through the stairway that's back there, " says Lacy.

Last night's rain made the ground very muddy, which was what firefighters found on the scene of this incident. It was on of many challenges firefighters faces while battling this blaze.

"Prior to our arrival on this scene, the service line coming in from the ally to feed electricity to the house had burnt off. It was lying on the ground. It was still live, " says Lacy.

AEP Ohio was called to the scene and eventually shut the power off to the home to prevent a safety hazard from occurring.

The amount of smoke coming from the home also made visibility difficult for firefighters, and there was the intense heat to deal with too. Lacy says his department made sure the firefighters kept hydrated.

"It's possible in a working fire that within 30 minutes, someone could theoretically lose 7,8,9 pounds just by sweating out, " says Lacy.

Crews used compressed foam, mixed in with the water supply to help extinguish the fire quickly and encapsulate combustible objects, but they also had to pick apart the home to get the blaze under control.

"We were cutting out spaces to attempt to get into those hot spots and those void areas, especially some of those that we couldn't reach from the inside, " says Lacy.

Crews were on the scene for about two hours. The incident remains under investigation.

Everyone in the home at the time of the fire was able to make it out without any injuries. The Muskingum Valley Red Cross is providing aide to the the family of seven, who have three children under the age of four.

If you would like to help the family, a benefit fund in Lisa Hadley's name has been set up at all Century National Bank branches in Zanesville.


For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: