4 People Injured In Apartment Complex Fire

POSTED BY: George Hiotis
Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 12:58 PM
1 / 1

The Zanesville Fire Department says one person was seriously hurt and three others injured in a Wednesday morning fire at an apartment complex.

 Fire Chief Dave Lacy says it happened around 7:30 am at 2746 Maple Avenue. This is the location of a five story apartment building with 100 living units owned by the Zanesville Metropolitan Housing Authority.

Lacy says a large number of tenants were assisted from floors 3,4, and 5 by firefighters and staff due to heavy smoke. The fire was contained to room 308. The fire started in a chair in the living room area and was enhanced by oxygen that was in use by the resident in the apartment.

Lacy says it is believed that smoking by the resident started the fire. The resident in room 308 is identified by Lacy as 70-year-old Dixie Fesler.

She was burned over 20 percent of her body and taken to Genesis Good Samaritan Hospital. She was then transported to the Ohio State University Burn Center in Columbus.

Three other residents of the complex were also transported to Good Samaritan Hospital. They are being treated smoke inhalation and chest pain related injuries.

A damage estimate is not yet available. 

The Muskingum Valley Red Cross responded to the scene and provided coffee and juice for the displaced residents. 

The Red Cross also helped  one resident, who lived next to the room where the fire occurred, with housing in a Zanesville Motel until her room is ready to be occupied again.


For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: