More on Sunset Avenue Fire

POSTED BY: Nichole Hannahs
Friday, November 19, 2010 - 03:23 PM
Sunset Fire

A devastating scene on Sunset Avenue Friday morning at the home of Jon and Lisa Cronin is destroyed by fire.

Zanesville Fire Department received the call of a structure fire at 1016 Sunset Avenue around 9. Living in the home with the couple were four children ages 21-16 years old. Fire Chief Dave Lacy said the fire was caused by an air mattress in the living room of the home being pushed into a gas log fireplace by a family pet.

It didn't take long for the fire to reach the attic.

"Once a fire gets in between the rafters and the joist and you have dry wall on one side and roofing on the other it makes tunnels that the fire can get into," explained Chief Lacy.

Two people were home at the time of the fire. A 20-year-old female was transported to Genesis Good Samaritan where she was treated for smoke inhalation.  While the occupants of the home may have escaped their pets did not.

"There were two deceased dogs and some cats," said Lacy. "It's hard when you lose anything whether it's an animal or human casualty. It's hard on the the crews. It's something we don't like to see but it happens."

Damage to the home is expected to exceed $100,000. The family did have insurance. The Red Cross is assisting the family with money to go shopping for clothes and food. The family will stay with family and friends.

Zanesville fire crews were assisted by Falls Township, South Zanesville and Dresden Fire Departments.


For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: