Odorless Killer, Hidden Danger

POSTED BY: Nichole Hannahs
Friday, February 4, 2011 - 12:02 PM
What to do if detector sounds

The death of a State Highway Patrol Trooper and his wife in Montgomery County due to Carbon Monoxide draws attention to the deadly gas.

This time of year is especially dangerous as many turn to alternative heat sources and furnaces are up and running.

"It's one of the most dangerous gases there is because it's odorless so you can't smell it and you can't see it so it's kind of invisible and without a detector you be overcome by it and not even know about it," Zanesville Fire Department Firefighter Kyle Trout..

And though the sound of a carbon monoxide detector can be annoying. The device can save your life.

"Even if they believe it's a bad battery or a bad detector they should get out of the house and then we'll come with our meter and we'll see if there is any carbon monoxide and if there is we'll ventilate the house," said Trout.

Trout also said that everyone should make sure that their furnace and hot water tank are ventilated properly and free of any dirt or birds nests so that the gas doesn't back up into the home.

 


For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: