Fire Damages Zanesville Business

POSTED BY: Kelly Mills
Friday, June 8, 2012 - 09:15 PM
Huey Gives Details on Ritchey's Market Fire

A Friday evening fire damages a Zanesville business.

Firefighters were called to 350 Luck Avenue around 8 p.m. When they arrived at the scene flames were coming out the front of Ritchey's Market.

Assistant Fire Chief David Huey says they cannot determine the official cause yet, but discarded smoking materials may be to blame.

"One of the first guys that was up there and started working on that opening said there was an old cigar sitting right there. Something like that sitting there inside that wood paneling could smolder for several hours, before it got noticeable," says Huey.

A security gate on the front door of the business, slowed firefighters entrance into the building.

"We weren't able to make entrance really easy on that. He's got a metal grate door on there and with smoke inside the building and flames showing we really couldn't afford to wait for him to get here with a key," he says.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze within minutes of arrival. Huey says the majority of the damage was contained to the front of the business and most of the inventory in the story was not damaged.


For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: