Staying Safe This Winter

POSTED BY: Nichole Hannahs
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 01:48 PM
Red Cross

As we approach the holiday season and cold temperatures returns it's important to make sure your home is safe from fire.

The Muskingum Valley Red Cross' Executive Director said that it's important to make sure your smoke detectors are in working order. The detectors should be placed outside of each bedroom. It's also important when cooking that holiday feast to keep an eye on the food. Don't leave pans boiling or things frying unattended.

"People should really be aware of when they're in the kitchen cooking. Make sure that you don't leave anything on the stove, oven mitts, things like that. Make sure they're far enough away from the burners and so on."

Henderson also said to watch plugging items into extension cords. An alternative heat source like space heaters shouldn't be plugged into these cords. She said responding to fires during the holiday season is emotional.

"This is the most heart breaking time of the year to get that call around Christmas because you know the people probably lost everything anyway and then to add their Christmas on top of it and it's even more heartbreaking."

And while holiday candles look beautiful when lit make sure to keep them out of the reach of children and pets. The Red Cross also said to make sure to blow out those candles when leaving the room and put them where nothing will fall into them.


For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: