The South Zanesville Fire Department responded to a house fire at 2058 Chewelah Ave. in the area of Dearborn Street around 2:15 p.m. Thursday afternoon. The two occupants of the house were inside when the fire started.
"I was in the kitchen doing dishes. My husband's in the living room sleeping and I head something 'pop.' I thought something might have fell and broke. And I went around the house to see if I can find what's going on and I couldn't find nothing and all of a sudden the house started getting real smoky," said Sarah Stires, who lived in the home.
Stires and her husband, Alfred, discovered the fire in their bedroom and tried to put it out themselves, which Stires said only made it worse. She called 911, grabbed her dog, got out of the house immediately and went to a neighbor's.
"Upon arrival, it was 40% involved into the house. We attacked with initial 3/4 line in the back. Water was an issue due to low hydrant flow so we called in numerous tankers and manpower to assist us," said JT Roberts, a firefighter with the South Zanesville Fire Department.
Roberts says the fire is still under investigation and says the home is considered a total loss.