Local News

June 1, 2003 - 9:35pm
5 years 4 weeks ago
A judge has dismissed a 69-count indictment against Dr. Randall Leuvoy, of Lancaster. Fairfield County Common Pleas Judge Joseph Clark ruled that there was insufficient evidence to prove the physician illegally processed drug documents. Leuvoy was being tried before a jury on 15 counts of the charges when the judge interrupted the trial and granted a defense motion for acquittal. Leuvoy was accused of illegally dispensing narcotics from a Franklin County jail cell in November of 2001. He...
June 1, 2003 - 9:34pm
5 years 4 weeks ago
Day two of the popular Gus Macker 3-on-3 basketball tournament is over. The trophies have been handed out and the courts have come down. Surprisingly by late Sunday night, the only remnants that basketball mania hit Zanesville are a few left over, taped sidelines on the roads. According to Mark Watson, logistics chairman for the tournament, it takes 35 volunteers to tear down all the basket units. Other volunteers work to break down tables, chairs, tents and food vendors. The County has...
June 1, 2003 - 9:33pm
5 years 4 weeks ago
Over 150 people who have won the battle against cancer united at the 17th Annual Cancer Survivor’s Day at the Pritchard Laughlin Civic Center in Cambridge Sunday afternoon. Those in attendance listened to keynote speakers, survivor testimonials, and inspirational music throughout the afternoon. New this year is a dove release, symbolizing freedom and peace. If you or someone you know has been diagnosed with cancer, a monthly support group will help you on your journey. Contact Becky Wheeler...
June 1, 2003 - 9:31pm
5 years 4 weeks ago
During the summer season many people enjoy the nice weather with family cookouts, but if you’re not careful when using those barbeque grill dangerous situations can occur. According to Zanesville Fire Chief Dave Lacy, many people place their grills too close to the house and wooden siding catches fire. Lacy also quotes loose connections on the propane system as causes of many grill fires. He also advises to grill away from any combustible materials and keep children out of reach of burning...
May 31, 2003 - 9:34pm
5 years 4 weeks ago
It’s one of the biggest events to hit Zanesville, and rain or shine the Gus Macker Tournament dribbles on. Day one of the popular 3-on-3 basketball tournament is over. Organizers say no significant problems have halted the dunking fun, however the weather could be a bit nicer. Compared to 2002, with plenty of sunshine and temperatures in the upper 70’s, this year seems chilly. Regardless of the cooler conditions basketball hype remains at a feverish level. If you missed any of the...
May 31, 2003 - 9:33pm
5 years 4 weeks ago
The Philo Firemen’s Festival brought smiles to residents’ faces Saturday. The three day long event culminated Saturday evening with a parade through Philo. The event benefits the Harrison Township Volunteer Fire Department. It is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the department. The Festival has been an annual event for more than 30 years.
May 31, 2003 - 9:30pm
5 years 4 weeks ago
It’s a glimmer of possible freedom for more than 2000 Ohio prison inmates. The Ohio Parole Board is conducting new hearings for many inmates under an Ohio Supreme Court order. The Board has decided the cases of 106 prisoners since mid-March. The nine members voted to parole 84 and keep 22 locked up. In all, 2098 inmates will receive new hearings. The Justices ordered the hearings because the Parole Board was reviewing inmates based on indictments against them, not their convictions. That...
May 31, 2003 - 2:35pm
5 years 4 weeks ago
Quick reaction by neighbors may have saved a Zanesville family’s home from possibly burning to the ground. Neighbors of a family who were out of town reported the fire at 901 Leonard around ten last night. The inside of the house received significant smoke and water damage. Although it's still under investigation, officials believe the blaze my have been caused by electrical problems. No one was injured due to the fire. The family was notified and en route to Columbus when the fire broke out.
May 30, 2003 - 10:49pm
5 years 4 weeks ago
A family is without a home after a fire destroyed their apartment early Friday evening. Zanesville fire crews responded to the blaze at 511 Shinnick Circle. Fire crews say the blaze was mostly contained to the living room, but that the apartment suffered smoke and heat damage. Crews are continuing to investigate the cause of the blaze. The family which reportedly has three children is receiving help from the American Red Cross. Their names are not available.
May 30, 2003 - 10:01pm
5 years 4 weeks ago
An accident at the intersection of Maple Avenue and Military Road in Zanesville Friday morning sent two people to the hospital. The incident also tied up traffic along the busy road. According to the Zanesville Post of the State Highway Patrol, the crash happened just before 11:30 Friday morning. Three vehicles were involved in the crash. As far as how the accident happened, the names of those involved and the extent of their injuries: that information is not available.
For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: