Stories tagged with: Fire

January 22, 2014 - 2:56am
23 weeks 12 hours ago

The call originally came in as smoke showing from a building at 95 Chestnut Street in the Village of Dresden at around 11 p.m. Tuesday night. When crews arrived shortly after, flames were shooting out through the roof and windows of the building.

Dresden and Frazeysburg Firefighters had to take a defensive approach in fighting the blaze, according to Dresden Fire Chief Carl Archer. He confirmed the fire started on the north end of the building. Archer went on to say at first look, the...

January 14, 2014 - 4:22pm
27 weeks 2 days ago

The Washington Township Fire Department is looking for volunteers to join their team.

The department is currently having a membership drive to increase their staff numbers. The department says it takes the right kind of person to serve their community and be a part of their fire house family.

"You definitely have to be a team player, you can't come in and try to run the place, but still must have a go get it attitude," said Firefighter, Jennifer Davis.

Along with...

December 26, 2013 - 6:40pm
30 weeks 17 hours ago

According to fire officials, the fire started at 5 a.m. Thursday morning at the home of Robert Walker at 7294 SR 345, just north of Crooksville. Fire fighter Dan Rodgers says the two-story wooden-frame home was fully involved in flames when crews arrived, and says the family managed to escape the burning home unharmed. The Muskingum Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family.

"We actually have given them their clothing allowance because...

December 26, 2013 - 7:19am
30 weeks 1 day ago

The Ohio Department of Transportation says an area road that was closed Thursday morning due to a house fire just north of Crooksville has now reopened. O-Dot says State Route 345 at Township Road 169 in Perry County was closed in both directions after a fire broke out at a home at 7294 State Route 345.  The fire was reported just before 5 this morning. No injuries were reported.

December 19, 2013 - 10:13am
31 weeks 1 day ago

The Zanesville Fire Department was called to the scene of a house fire Thursday morning.  A home at 848 Dryden Road was showing heavy smoke and flames were showing at 9 a.m.  ZFD says everyone who lived in the home was able to escape safely. The Muskingum Valley Red Cross has been called to the scene of the fire to help the family who lived in the home.

December 13, 2013 - 6:33pm
31 weeks 6 days ago

A city of Zanesville official says Sixth St. will not be open by the December 13th weekend as once anticipated.

Due to the cold weather Thursday, equipment continued to freeze causing workers to be stalled in the demolition of a historic building that caught fire Sunday.

Officials say the street is still not safe enough for travel. They hope to have it open by late Monday.

At this time in the demolition process, crews are having to work by hand to remove portions...

December 9, 2013 - 6:28pm
32 weeks 2 days ago

Fire erupted Sunday morning at 19 South Sixth Street, destroying a historic Zanesville building.

Zanesville firefighters battled the blaze for several hours, initially from the inside, until they reached the fourth floor when they discovered most of the floor and roof to the were already burned away.

"At that point, since it is condemned, they decided to abandon and go defensive,” explained ZFD Assistant Fire Chief, Dave Huey. “Instead of risking people inside....

December 8, 2013 - 1:58pm
32 weeks 4 days ago

The Zanesville Fire Department is currently on the scene of a structure fire in downtown Zanesville. Falls Township is assisting.

The fire was reported at 19 South Sixth Street. The street is closed from Main Street to South Street. 

A WHIZ crew is at the scene and will provide more information as it becomes available.  Continue to check back for the latest details.

December 2, 2013 - 5:00pm
33 weeks 3 days ago

Fires cause more deaths than any other type of disaster but they don't have to be deadly.

The Muskingum Valley Chapter of the Red Cross encourages everyone to take simple steps to be sure they are fire ready.

"Smoke detectors I think are number one,” explained Community Disaster Educator, Martha Staley. “Have them installed, especially near the sleeping areas and test them, make sure the batteries are working, and test them also so the family can hear what they...

November 25, 2013 - 6:51pm
34 weeks 3 days ago

At around 2:30 p.m. on Monday,  crews responded to a call about a structure fire on the 900 block of 3rd Street in Adams Mills. When Dresden Fire Department's Assistant Fire Chief Harold Wolford arrived, he says the home was in flames.

"We arrived to a structure fire, an investigation hasn't started yet but when we arrived we had heavy fire on the first floor that went up into the attic," explained Wolford.

Wolford says the landowners were at the house when...

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: