Stories tagged with: Zanesville Fire Department

March 23, 2012 - 3:54pm
2 years 23 weeks ago

The Zanesville Fire Department is honoring one of its own.

Lieutenant Jeff Jadwin is retiring after nearly 21 years on the job.  Jadwin said it's tough to leave his firefighter family, but after undergoing open heart surgery seven months ago, he said now is the time.

"There's a lot of moments that are memorable, so to pick out one would be tough, because it's a very rewarding career to serve the citizens and try to save lives and property," said Jadwin.

...

March 7, 2012 - 11:29am
2 years 25 weeks ago

Day Light Savings is this Sunday and while you turn your clocks forward the Zanesville Fire Department wants to remind you to also change your smoke detector batteries.

It's recommended the batteries in a smoke detector are changed every six months. Firefighter Kenny Jones said it's a simple chore that can be life saving.

"There has been numerous fires where the people have gotten out because of one of these," said Jones. "I mean, your not going to save...

February 14, 2012 - 12:20pm
2 years 28 weeks ago

A fire broke out at a home on Eastman Street, Tuesday morning.

Zanesville Fire Chief Craig Stemm said that they reached the scene at 7:30a.m. The fire appears to have begun in the attic and may be related to an electrical problem. Chief Stemm said it can be common to see fires in this location.

"it can happen especially if you have electrical problems or having problems with your heating system," said Chief Stemm.

While those living at the home were able to get...

February 13, 2012 - 11:29pm
2 years 28 weeks ago

On Monday Zanesville City Council accepted a federal grant to help pay for a new ladder truck for the fire department.

The department announced in Janaury that it was awarded a Federal Emergency Management Agency Homeland Security Assistance to Firefighters Grant for $675,000.  The grant will be used to replace a 25-year-old ladder truck.

Council also passed a new rental fee schedule for Secrest Auditorium, which includes a $300 per day increase for organizations that turn a...

January 19, 2012 - 3:00pm
2 years 32 weeks ago

A federal grant is helping the Zanesville Fire Department provide a better service to the community.

U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown announced on Thursday that the Zanesville Fire Department is receiving $676,013 for a new vehicle.  Zanesville Fire Chief Craig Stemm said the award is made possible by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Grants program.

"We actually applied for two different grants," said Stemm....

December 25, 2011 - 6:46pm
2 years 35 weeks ago

Not everyone had the day off from work on Sunday.  Even on Christmas, law enforcement and emergency personnel continue to serve the community.

The Zanesville Fire Department is fully staffed on holidays.  Firefighters work a 24 hour shift every three days, and this Christmas, Kenny Jones said it was his turn to be on duty.

"We're here every day," said Jones.  "We know each other's wives and kids, so we all just get together as a big family."...

November 24, 2011 - 7:05pm
2 years 40 weeks ago

The Zanesville Fire Fighters were also on the job Thanksgiving Day.

Firefighter Jeff Ball said each Thanksgiving the crew pitches in to cook-up the holiday feast.

"It's kind of our extended family and we're all giving thanks," said Ball. "If you got to be here at the fire departments you couldn't ask for a greater group of guys to be spending Thanksgiving with."

Thursday's meal would feed 13 firefighters- each crew member brought in their...

November 3, 2011 - 10:44am
2 years 43 weeks ago

The Zanesville Fire Department asks you to check your smoke detector when you change your clocks this weekend.

It's hard not to notice the beeping sound of a smoke detector. But, that sound may fall silent if a home owner doesn't check the batteries regularly. It's recommended that the batteries get changed twice a year and the time change marks a friendly reminder.

"It's a convenient time. It happens twice annually. If you can tie that into changing your batteries in a...

October 19, 2011 - 11:45pm
2 years 45 weeks ago

A Zanesville man is taken to the hospital following a fire on McIntire Avenue.

Authorities were called to the home at 911 McIntire shortly before 11 p.m. Wednesday.

According to the Zanesville Fire Department, a man was cooking and went into his living room where he fell asleep. Firefighters say the man suffered burns to his hands and was taken to Genesis Good Samaritan Hospital.

October 14, 2011 - 3:27pm
2 years 46 weeks ago

As temperatures begin to cool, now is the time to have chimneys inspected and cleaned to assure they're usable and safe for the season.

Chimney Sweep Gregg Brocklehurst is a full time firefighter for the City of Zanesville, as a side job Brocklehurst will clean, repair and reline chimneys. He said if a chimney has access build-up of ash and soot it's at risk of catching fire and burning, possibly causing damage to the chimney liner and your home.

"You can loose a whole home...

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: