Updates to Detention Center

by Kelly Mills on December 10, 2009 at 5:45 am

Thursday commissioners toured the Muskingum County Juvenile Detention Center to see upgrades that will be made with help from state funding.

A state grant will provide 60 percent of funding for the improvement project, as long as the county pays for the other 40 percent.

"They asked the commissioners to put the $47,000 up front in return we will get $28,000 back so it actually costs the county $18,000," says Commissioner John Bates.

The money will provide for new security cameras, security doors and air conditioning in the Detention Center’s gym.

"When they built it in 2000 or 2001 the air conditioner was part of it and they never put it in and it’s a gym so actually it’s like sauna out there in the summer time," says Bates.

Commissioners say they will not begin the process of making improvements until the beginning of next year, so project costs and reimbursements from the state will all take place during the 2010 budget year.