Zanesville Fire Leaves Family Homeless

by Emily Baird on January 10, 2010 at 10:49 am

A family is left homeless on this cold winter night after a fire destroyed their home.

It happened around 4 p.m. at 335 Jordan Avenue in Zanesville.

"When we arrived, we did find a fire coming from the front room through one window. It was starting to roll out of the window onto the front porch. We made entry, knocked the fire down fairly quickly, and conducted a primary search, " says Zanesville Fire Department Captain Kevin Thomas.

The home is considered a total loss, and the fire is still under investigation.

"It looks at this time like there was a teenager in the bedroom playing with a lighter, and he apparently caught the bed on fire, " says Thomas.

Thomas says the parents were not home at the time of the fire. No one was injured in the incident.

The Red Cross is assisting Loretta Smith and her two children-ages 19 and 15.

The family was home at the time of the fire, but Thomas says no one was injured in the incident.