A fire broke out at an apartment complex in Muskingum County Wednesday morning forcing several residents out into the cold.
The Muskingum Township Fire Department was called out to 28-40 Vista View Drive at about 2 a.m.
A sheriff’s deputy first arrived on the scene and found the kitchen stove area in flames and put the fire out with an extinguisher.
When the deputy exited the building he noticed the attic area was on fire. Muskingum Township Assistant Fire Chief Troy Lowe said it spread.
"Most likely what happened is it got into the walls and traveled up into the attic," Lowe said.
The two people in the apartment did get out safely. Lowe said the deputy did a good job getting everyone out of the apartments.
"They did an excellent job, of number one clearing the residents out of the building and helping put the fire out as well," Lowe said.
Lowe said their biggest fear was it spreading to the other apartments. The Muskingum Valley Red Cross says Lori Havens, her two children and two grandchildren lived in the apartment. No one was hurt. The organization is helping the family with temporary lodging and food. Muskingum Township Fire Chief John Benson says the cause of the fire was an unattended pan of grease left on the stove.
The Muskingum Township Fire Department battled the blaze along with Dresden, Zanesville and Licking Township also responded.