Fire at Home on Echo Avenue

by Ashley Drane on June 21, 2010 at 2:18 am

A fire at home on Echo Avenue could have been a lot worse than it turned out to be.

The Zanesville Fire Department responded to 510 Echo Avenue around 9 Monday morning. Fire Chief Dave Lacy said when crews arrived there was a mattress on fire in the upstairs bedroom.

"It was a child’s mattress and the occupants had got some water out of the bathroom and threw on that. It was essentially out. We did have to clear a lot of smoke out of the upstairs of the house," Chief lacy said.

Chief Lacy said they feel a 3 year old boy was playing with matches or a lighter when it caught fire. He said it’s scary because 10 people live in the house.

"It’s very frightening you know had this event happened at night and not at day time especially he was the only one upstairs at the time but it could have been tragic with that many people residing here," Chief Lacy said.

He said they are talking to the parents about steps they can take on preventing something like this from happening. No one was hurt.