Filing a Referendum Petition

by Emily Baird on August 2, 2010 at 6:26 am

Zanesville residents who are unhappy with the recent approval of the re-zoning of the old YMCA property have vowed they will take a stand.

One route they can use is requesting a referendum petition from the Muskingum County Board of Elections, which if approved, would take the issue to voters in November 2011.

"Then they would have to get legal council to help them fill out the petition, and we would also tell them how many signatures they would need to collect, " says Executive Director, Chris Hamill.

But not just anyone can sign that petition.

"It would be anyone who is registered in the city, as long as their signature is valid. Then we need the 659 signatures, " says Hamill.

Hamill is referring to anyone in the city of Zanesville who is registered to vote. The petition would be brought back to the Board of Elections to verify all the signatures. It would then move on to the city auditor to be approved. The final step would be sending the petition to the Secretary of State’s office for the final o-k of it being put on the ballot.