A fire at the Maple Terrace Apartments sends four people to the hospital.
Zanesville Fire Chief Dave Lacy says at around 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, fire crews responded to 2746 Maple Avenue. The fire was contained to apartment #308, but heavy smoke was also present on floors four and five.
"They had a very alert maintenance man on duty this morning up there and once he realized what was going on he grabbed the fire extinguisher and went in and hit it with that and actually rescued the lady with the burns," said Fire Chief Lacy.
Occupant of the apartment, seventy-year-old Dixied Fesler, suffered burns to 20% of her body. She was taken to Good Samaritan hospital and then transferred to Ohio State University Burn Center in Columbus for treatment, where she is now listed in stable condition.
"We also had three other individuals that were transported to the hospital, transported to Genesis Good Samaritan by Community Ambulance and they were being treated for smoke inhalation and some chest pains associated with that."
Chief Lacy says he believes the fire started from Fesler smoking and was enhanced by her use of oxygen, which he says is a dangerous combination.
The apartment complex is owned by the Zanesville Housing Authority and has 100 units.