Lead Poisoning Prevention Week

by Brittany Harris on October 19, 2010 at 8:53 am

It is National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week.

To help raise awareness about the severity of lead poisoning, health officials are reminding the public about the cause and effects of this preventable disease.

"It’s usually associated with homes that were built before 1978 and it has to do with the lead that was used in the paint that was used in those times," said Dr. Whitacre of the Muskingum County Health Department.

Dr. Whitcare says that children under the age of three are most susceptible because they tend to put their hands and other objects into their mouths. She says lead poisioning can cause long-term damage to the brain, liver, and kidneys.

"We actually have children with elevated blood levels for lead in this area, we have one of the higher areas in the state of Ohio for troubles with lead poisoning."

If you live in an older home, you can have it inspected to make it safe for you and your family. There is also a blood test available to detect lead poisoning. Dr. Whitacre recommends contacting your doctor if you have any concerns.