Philo House Fire Causes Minor Damage

by Mark Bullion on January 21, 2011 at 8:10 am

A house fire breaks out in Philo Friday Evening.

Harrison and Wayne Township Fire Departments responded to 503 Spring Street around 5:30 pm. Harrison Township Assistant Fire Chief Scott Moore says the fire started from a ceiling light in the kitchen.

"Three quarters of the kitchen ceiling. We went ahead and pulled it just because of the smoke, charcoal and wood; so we went ahead and pulled it just for safety factors," said Moore.

Resident Rebecca Pletcher was able to make it out of the home uninjured. Moore says battling house fires of any magnitude take its toll on firefighters, especially with such cold temperatures outside.

"It’s pretty cold right now. The guys have their stuff on and of course they’re going to be warm but once they get out here in the cold and start taking stuff off is when they start getting sick."

The Red Cross is assisting Pletcher who will be staying with relatives.