Candle Severely Burns Local Woman

Candle Severely Burns Local Woman

by Leah Kirstein on February 9, 2011

A candle leaves a Zanesville woman with second and third degree burns. 

"My mom is on fire" is the call that dispatched Zanesville Fire Department to 996 Greenwood Avenue around 7 p.m. on Tuesday night. 

"We had a lady that had a candle lit, burning in her bedroom and accidentally leaned over it with a night gown on and caught her night gown on fire," said Eric Waltemire,  Zanesville Fire Department. 

Firefighters did not have to put out the fire and there was no damage to the structure.

"Basically we ensure that the fire was out and we attended to the victim until the ambulance got here and then assisted in the transport," said Waltemire.

Officials say the victim will most likely spend the night at the hospital.