Dryer Causes Injury House Fire

by Kelly Choate on November 10, 2011 at 10:31 am

A house fire sent one person to the hospital on Thursday night.

Zanesville Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Thomas said he received the call around 9 PM at 1216 Putnam Avenue.

"When we got here, we found the residence full of smoke," said Thomas.  "It turned out that the dryer had locked up and overheated.  It started a fire inside the dryer and smoked up the house."

Thomas said firefighters extinguished the flames almost immediately.  A family of three was inside the home, and one man was treated for smoke inhalation at Good Samaritan Hospital in Zanesville.  Thomas said he expects to respond to a lot more fires in the upcoming months.

"We are coming into the fire season, because the weather is turning cold," said Thomas.  "A lot of people are using space heaters, which tends to be a problem for us."

Thomas said he did not see any smoke detectors inside the home.