Friday Night Playoffs

by Danielle Cotterman on November 5, 2011 at 9:10 am

Quality, not quantity. This area did not sport a lot of teams in the playoffs this year, but the three teams that competed on the first Friday Night of the OHSAA playoffs gave us some memorable games. Unfortunately, two of those teams ended up on the business end of the scoreboard.

Division II Region 7 Quarterfinal– Jack Anderson Stadium

#7 New Carlisle Tecumseh 30 #2 Tri-Valley 48

The lone winner last night in our area was the Tri-Valley Scotties. Hosting a playoff game for the first time in their school’s history, the Dawgs outlasted Tecumseh, a member of the Central Buckeye conference. The Scotties looked like the two seed as the game wore on, blasting the Arrows to the tune of a 41-14 run to end the game, after being down 16-7 early. Tri-Valley  will move on to face New Albany, the team they beat in the Regional Quarterfinals a year ago. Tri-Valley has never won a Regional Semifinal game in school history.

Division III Region 11 Quarterfinal– Crater Stadium

#7 Sheridan 53 #2 Dover 68

There’s a first for everything. Nobody ever thought that Sheridan would ever score 53 points and lose, let alone lose by two scores. Crater Stadium morphed into Crazy Stadium in this offensive outburst, which featured a combined 62 points in the second quarter. Dover scored 42 in the second frame, which was not their highest single-quarter performance this year. The Tornadoes hung 49 on Toledo Woodward in week number five of the season. The 121 points was the eleventh highest single game total in OHSAA Football History.

Division V Region 19 Quarterfinal– Valley Stadium

# 6 Ridgewood 21 #3 Lucasville Valley 28

Playing in the shadows of the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility, Ridgewood Head Coach John Slusser was not about to handcuff his team. The Generals pulled out all the stops in the seven point loss, including two onside kicks, a fake punt, and going for it on fourth and two in the first half on their own 18 yard line. The turning point in the ball game happened when the Generals were attempting to tie the game at 21, but instead threw an interception at the goal line that Valley returned 100 yards for a touchdown.