Striving for a Healthier New Year

Striving for a Healthier New Year

by Kelly Choate on December 31, 2011

If you made a New Year’s resolution to shed those holiday pounds, you’re not alone.

January is one of the busiest months for gyms as people get motivated to start the year by making healthy choices.  Personal trainer Derek Carnes said when it comes to weight loss, it’s important to set realistic goals for yourself.

"You don’t want people to get injured or demotivated by being overly pushed, so we sit down with the clients, and we set up a program for them," said Carnes.  "Once we agree to a program, we stick to it with a gradual increase, and when you get to the end of the program, you can start a new one or go out on your own.  It’s really easy to do."

The Southtown Gym in Zanesville offers a variety of classes including spinning, kickboxing, zumba, pilates and yoga.  Carnes said a healthy lifestyle starts with a well-balanced diet.

"I’d say 80% of it is what you eat and the other 20% is working out," said Carnes.  "You can hire a trainer and he can tell you what to do at the gym and push you along, but the biggest challenge is getting someone to eat right in their own environment."

For more information or to sign up for a membership, you can call the Southtown Gym at (740) 455-2639.