Garage Fire Gives Responders A Scare

by Kelly Choate on August 5, 2012 at 1:25 am

A garage fire gave firefighters a little bit of a scare Saturday night.

It happened just before 10:30 p.m. at 1088 Wayne Avenue.  Zanesville Assistant Fire Chief David Huey said he received a call that an elderly woman was trapped inside, but fortunately, that wasn’t the case.

"When we got here, there was fire on the outside deck and stairway," said Huey.  "There was not a victim inside, so we were safe there.  We haven’t determined the cause of ignition yet.  It’s all outside the building.  No obvious source of ignition.  Nobody witnessed anybody messing around here or anything."

Huey said no one was injured, and the fire does not appear to be suspicious at this time.  He said the home is not considered to be a total loss.  The investigation continues.