This weekend we’ll move the clocks forward an hour and while you’re changing clocks there’s something else you need to do.
The time change is a perfect time to also change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Zanesville Firefighter Kenny Jones said that once a week you should test the detector to make sure it’s working and they should be on every floor of the house, mounted to a wall.
"You see in the news where people have died in fires because they did not have a smoke detector, they took the battery out to put in a toy or appliance," said Jones. "Then you see cases that people were saved because they had a smoke detector and it’s such a cheap item that why would you not have it."
Carbon monoxide detectors are also important to have in your home.
"If you have any gas fired appliances in your house or hot water tank, stove, anything you have running off of gas you need a carbon monoxide detector because it’s a silent killer. You don’t smell it. You don’t know it’s there until the levels get too high."
Jones said that all the city fire houses have smoke detectors for free so there’s no excuse to not having one in your home.