Fire in Corning Update

by Katie McGraw on March 19, 2013 at 4:49 am

Five local fire departments responded to a fire in Corning Monday afternoon around 4 PM on Portie-Flamingo Road at the home of Eli and Angie Collins and their three children.

It took crews from Corning, New Lexington, Shawnee, Crooksville, and New Straitsville around 20 minutes to contain the fire. According to New Lexington, Firefighter, Jordan Hatem, when he arrived, about 50 percent of the Ranch-style home was engulfed in flames, showing through the roof. Although the cause of the fire is still under investigation, Hatem assumed the fire started in the wood burning stove and fireplace on the main floor.

Hatem said, "Where the chimney is, if you follow it down, it comes out into a wood burning stove and there is a clay pipe that goes into that, there is a crack in that and then the studs caught on fire around that and went up into the attic. "

No injuries were reported and Hatem estimated there was at least $80,000 in damages plus the contents of the home.