Campus Safety Week continues at Ohio University Zanesville and Zane State College. Today’s focus- Fire And Emergency Medical Services.
Visitors heard home safety tips from Zanesville Fire Department Lieutenant Roger Hobson .
"Home safety, home fire safety, “Hobson said. “We talked a lot about extension cords today, portable fire extinguishers, evacuation plans, just keeping everybody safe. As one of my slides on the presentation, why? Why talk about fire safety? Well it’s family. Families matter."
Hobson says space heaters should be plugged into the wall not into surge protectors and don’t be afraid to use a fire extinguisher.
"How to use a fire extinguisher, don’t be scared to use a fire extinguisher. We are going to take the people outside, we’ve got about 15 extinguishers we are going to set a fire, and we are going to just let them see there is absolutely nothing to it."
Hobson urges anytime you use a fire extinguisher you still need to call 911 to be sure the fire is completely out and your home is safe.