Recreational Vehicles In Floodplains Need Pemit

by Mackenzie Stasko on October 3, 2013 at 9:22 am

If you plan on taking your camper for a long stay in a floodplain in the county next spring or summer, you will now have to pay a $50 dollar permit fee.

The fee has been in place since 1988, but hasn’t been enforced. Muskingum County Floodplain Administrator Ray Mennega said the reason is because he has been focused on other projects and problems. With the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) new focus on "no adverse impact," Mennega says the permit is necessary.

"Because of that, we’re now looking at being more aggressive with permitting a recreational vehicles that show up in the floodplain every spring and then leave in the fall," said Mennega.

So, if you plan on taking your camper, motorized vehicle, house trailer or other recreational vehicle camping by the river for a long period of time, you’re going to need a permit.

"There are certain things that need to be done there with securing the recreational vehicle quick disconnects and licenses and tires being left on them so that in the event there is a major flood, that those vehicles could be removed very quickly."

Mennega said this will allow better management and monitoring of activity in the floodplain. You can go to to learn more about the required permit.