About 50 farm animals – goats, chickens, ducks and cows – perished, when a large livestock barn went up in flames early Thursday morning in Licking County.
Firefighters said the blaze in the sprawling pole barn on a farm near Pataskala likely was sparked by some heat lamps that were being used to keep the animals warm.
Firefighters said they were hampered by the size of the barn and the lack of hydrants in the rural area, meaning all the water they used had to be hauled to the scene.
The initial call came in just before 2 a.m. Firefighters from eight departments fought the blaze.
No people were believed to be injured.