The Red Cross is urging everyone to prepare for the dangerously low temperatures this week.
Executive Director of the Muskingum Valley Chapter, Marlene Henderson, suggests keeping a three day supply of food and water for your family in case of a power outage, make sure you have flashlights and a radio handy, and as always, when it comes to bitter cold temperatures, dress in layers and bundle up.
"We’ve seen a lot of things happen the last several weeks," said Henderson. "One of the biggest things is watch plugging electrical things into the same outlet, overloading outlets, if you have those old brown extension cords, get rid of them."
As far as what you shouldn’t do, Henderson says to keep an eye on your portable heaters, never leave them unattended or on carpet. Also, don’t use a gas stove to warm your house, and don’t bring a generator inside the house, Henderson says even keeping it on an enclosed back porch can be dangerous.
"Carbon monoxide is a killer and it’s a silent killer and people don’t think about that and yea just keep anything like that , propane torch headers, anything like that outside of your house because you don’t want the fumes from it, you don’t want the carbon monoxide from it."
You can find more winter safety tips at the www.redcross.org.