Broadway’s mighty marquee lights dimmed, Wednesday, to honor a celebrated actor’s love of every stage.
46-year-old Philip Seymour Hoffman passed away Sunday. He was found dead in the bathroom of his apartment with a syringe in his arm. He’s suspected of dying from a heroin overdose.
His death draws attention to the dangers of this drug, which in the last five years has seen its use double in the US.
"They enjoy it so much that a lot of folks from the first time they use they are going to come back and use," said CEO of Muskingum Behavioral Health Steve Carrel. "With that high it’s almost an instant high."
Carrel said in our area he’s seeing more cases of heroin then ever before with the black tar variety being the most common. This variety of the drug has a lower potency and more is needed to get high then with a pure heroin.
"If you get used to a certain type of heroin that has been cut, has additives to it and then all of a sudden you get pure heroin there’s a good chance you’re going to overdose because it’s so potent it will shut down the functioning of the body," explained Carrel.
Carrel said heroin addiction is treatable, but hard to do by yourself due to an intense period of withdraw. He suggests for those seeking treatment to contact a professional or a detox center.