***UPDATE*** 5:31 p.m. — Nice weather today allowed officials to let the natural gas flow freely until it could be shut off. According to the Zanesville Fire Department natural gas is lighter than air and since wind was slight and there was no rain the gas will rise into the atmosphere. The Energy Cooperative was able to clamp the valve and repair it around 4:00 p.m. today.
***UPDATE*** 4:51p.m. — Construction crews struck a gas line early this afternoon behind Bethesda Hospital. Natural gas spilled out of the line before crews could shut the line off. The Energy Cooperative operates the line and attended to the scene. Crews performed air tests in and around the hospital. No evacuations were made as the tests registered safe levels.
***UPDATE*** 4:00 p.m. — The Zanesville Fire Department says it has lifted the shelter in place for the gas leak at Bethesda Hospital. There is no longer a need to stay inside or keep your door and windows closed.
The Zanesville Fire Department says there is a natural gas leak located behind Bethesda Hospital. ZFD is asking that residents stay indoors, keep your windows and doors shut. If you experience a strong odor of natural gas call 911.