It’s been around 15 years since professional wresting came to Zanesville. That was supposed to end Sunday, however things didn’t go as planned.
The Mid Ohio Valley Championship Wrestling Megacard: A Night of Legends was scheduled to start at 3 p.m. Sunday at Secrest Auditorium, but the event had to be canceled. Ann Combs, the Manager of Secrest Auditorium said the promoter never showed up to pay the rental fee of $1,700.
"We have a ring here, we have wrestlers here, we have our referee here but we don’t have a promoter in order to take care of those individuals to put on the show," Combs said.
With no promoter and no payment, Secrest had to cancel the event.
Because of low ticket sales Combs gave the promoters the opportunity to cancel the event Monday, but they told her they were still coming, just like they did to the wrestlers. It wasn’t until an hour before the show that wrestlers received notice of the cancellation.
"We got here just to find out that the promoter had basically just canceled the show on us," professional wrestler, Brittany Force, said.
The wrestlers stuck around to sign autographs and take pictures with fans that showed up at Secrest Sunday, but many of them were disappointed that that’s all they could do for the fans. Both Brittany Force and Combs offered their apologies to the people who wanted to see some wrestling.
"On behalf of myself and the other wrestlers that were unaware up until we came to the building today to give you guys our condolences and we are very sorry that the promoter just decided not to show up today in order to have this show for you," Force said.
"Unfortunately the Zanesville community had been looking forward to wrestling returning to Secrest after about a 15 year absence, so it’s truly a loss for the entire community," Combs said.
All pre-purchased tickets are being fully refunded by the City of Zanesville. Calls to the promoters for comment have not been returned.