Soccer abuse hotline takes 860 calls in 1st week

by Associated Press on December 1, 2016 at 5:00 am

LONDON (AP) — A hotline set up in response to sex abuse claims in British soccer has taken more than 860 calls in its first week.

The NSPCC children’s charity says it made 60 referrals to the police or children’s services within the first three days of the hotline’s launch.

NSPCC chief executive Peter Wanless says “we have had a staggering surge in calls to our football hotline, which reveals the worrying extent of abuse that had been going on within the sport.”

Former professional players have been speaking publicly over the last two weeks about the ordeals they went through as youngsters at the hands of coaches.

Fifteen police forces are investigating allegations of child sex abuse in soccer.