Keep Safe With Space Heaters

POSTED BY: News Department
Wednesday, January 7, 2004 - 07:26 PM
1 / 2

The local Fire Departments are working to keep residents safe and warm…

With frigid temperatures we’ve been experiencing, a popular choice to keep warm among many people are space heaters,
which can be extremely dangerous if not used properly.

Fire Chief Dave Lacy says during the winter months, he sees an increase in fires caused by the small, floor heaters.

Chief Lacy says use a properly sized extension cord, never cover the heaters with anything, keep them away from anything combustible, and in a well ventilated area to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Chief Lacy says buy a carbon monoxide detector and if at all possible only run the heaters when you are awake, to eliminate the possibility of a fire.

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio
Share: