Three-Year-Old Boy Dies in Heath Fire

POSTED BY: Katie Jeffries
Friday, February 12, 2010 - 06:38 PM
1 / 3

Boy, 3, Killed in Fire

A Heath family is mourning the loss of a three-year-old boy after a mobile home fire Thursday at 152 Irving Wick Drive. WHIZ's Katie Jeffries has more on the story.

"I looked at it and it was really full of smoke and there was no way you could get in there," tells Donald Forsbach, a witness to the fire.

One neighbor took a bike and broke the front window trying to get into the home to save the young boy. But there was just too much smoke. Witnesses say people told firefighters as soon as they arrived there was a young boy trapped inside.

"There was people screaming and yelling 'there is a baby in there', but the fire people could only do what they could at the speed that they could," says a neighbor, Dan Frahn.

"A fireman had a baby or a kid in his hands and he was running with it to the squad and took it to the hospital and later I found out he didn't make it," says Forsbach.

Three-year-old Brenden Fown was discovered by firefighters in the home's bathroom. Fown was taken to Licking Memorial Hospital but did not survive.

"It appears to have starred in the bedroom, the bedroom right by that bathroom," tells Captain Warren McCord from the Heath Fire Department.

Friday, Fown's father left a balloon and flowers at the home with a simple message, "I love you".

The Licking County Coroner's office says an autopsy revealed that the three year old died of carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation.

 

 

Katie Jeffries

KJeffries@whizmediagroup.com


For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Morning Rush      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZscores      @WHIZweather      @Z92MorningRush
Share: