- Highway 103
- Contact Us
Part of downtown Cambridge was shut down Thursday afternoon, after workers struck a natural gas line.
Cambridge Fire Chief Rick Long says it happened around noon on the North 500 block of Wheeling Avenue. As soon as crews arrived they immediately shut down the area. Columbia Gas was called in to make the necessary repairs.
"They're putting a new water line in, and they just happened to hit the gas line, and it pulled it out from the main line" says Fire Chief Rick Long.
Precautionary measures were taken to ensure that people in the area were safe. Several businesses along Wheeling Avenue were evacuated.
"The gas was leaking underground, and it got into the basements of three of the downtown buildings. We evacuated a few others just as a precaution." he said.
After repairs were finished, Columbia Gas checked the gas levels in the buildings affected, and determined it was safe for occupants. The road was closed for more than two hours while Columbia Gas made the repairs. No injuries were reported.