County Funds Grow in Blue Rock

POSTED BY: Danielle Cotterman
Monday, November 7, 2011 - 04:23 PM
Nate Jester

Muskingum County has received their annual check from the Division of Forestry.

The money stems from the Timber Management Program. Each fiscal year revenue from the timber sales is distributed among the county. This year more than $66,000 was produced from Blue Rock State Forest.

"We also manage those forests for a variety of multiple uses, features like recreation." said Southern District Manager Nate Jester. "We also look at the rare and threatened species, habitat improvement, managing for wildlife and diversity. "

As part of the Division of Forestry mission to preserve wildlife, timber revenue is distributed among the county's volunteer fire departments to focus on their efforts to prevent wildfires.

"A lot of the volunteer fire departments in Ohio operate on a very small budget," said Forestry Program Administrator Greg Guess. "Many of them even less than $20,000 a year, so any extra money they get allows them to provide the services that Ohioans expect from them."

The program harvests only 40% of county timber, leaving 60% for continued growth in the area.

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio