No Charges Filed Against Former Priest

POSTED BY: Nichole Hannahs
Monday, July 16, 2012 - 10:57 AM
No Charges Filed Against Former Priest

A Catholic priest placed on administrative leave last week by the Columbus Diocese won't face charges in Muskingum County. He served in Zanesville over 40 years ago and is being accused of sexual misconduct with a minor.

Zanesville Police spoke to the prosecutor who says the statute of limitations is up in the case involving former St. Nicholas priest Thomas Brosmer. Authorities found out about the incident through the Columbus Diocese. Police say the alleged victim was 11 when he says he was fondled by the priest. Ohio law says prosecution must take place within 20 years of the offense. This case is over 40 years old.

"We hate to see a crime or a potential crime not be followed clear through, but it's obvious there's nothing that can be done here," said Police Chief Eric Lambes.

Lambes says it's not uncommon for children, especially boys, to wait to report crimes like this.

"The quicker we're aware of a crime it's always easier to investigate because you know incidents are fresher in witnesses or victims minds and possible physical evidence can be recovered," said Lambes.

Should any other victims from Zanesville come forward Chief Lambes says he will share that information with the Diocese of Columbus. The diocese says information will be forthcoming regarding outreach eforts to be conducted in those places where Father Brosmer served to determine if other persons wish to come foward and seek help. Since 2004 Father Brosmer has been Associate Pastor at St. Cecilia Church in Columbus.


For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio
Share: