- Highway 103
- Contact Us
Space Heaters warm up our homes, attics or basements but you need to be sure you are using them safely.
You should never leave a space heater on when you are not home and do not place them too close to furniture, cloth or other people.
"They are safe as long as you are using them appropriately,” explained ZFD Firefighter, Donavon Jadwin. “You want to make sure you are following the manufactures recommendations, keeping them at least three feet away from anything that is going to have a chance to burn."
The other thing to keep in mind during this holiday season is to be sure, as you deck the halls, you are fire smart.
"When you are decorating, just be sure to keep your lights to a minimum of three lights together, you don't want to put more than three strands of light into one outlet, try to limit the extension cords, if it is going to be outside you want the extension cords to be an outside extension cord and if it's indoor use you can use either."
Jadwin also said to keep your Christmas tree, especially live ones, away from heat sources. For more information on how to protect your home from winter flames, there are many websites to check out such as usfa.fema.gov and www.nfpa.org.