With the advent of more severe winter
weather, AEP Ohio, a unit of American Electric Power, issues
the following customer safety tips . . .
- Report outages and check restoration statuses via AEP Ohio’s website
from your computer or mobile device. Simply select “Report an Outage” or
“Check an Outage Status” at AEPOhio.com/mobile.
- To report outages by phone, call 1-800-672-2231.
- Stay away from downed power lines and any wires near them and call
911 or AEP Ohio at 1-800-672-2231.
- Unplug major appliances to protect them from a power surge when power
comes back on.
- Refuel heaters, lamps, and generators outside, and stay away from any
flames or sparks. Wipe up fuel spills immediately.
- Let AEP Ohio know if you're using a generator -- this protects you
and our line workers as they work to restore power. Be sure to follow all
safety instructions provided by the manufacturer and always operate a
generator outdoors and away from doors, windows and vent openings.
Never operate lanterns, heaters, or fuel-fired stoves without proper
ventilation and never burn charcoal indoors. It releases poisonous carbon
For more safety tips and information on dealing with outages, visit