Local News

February 25, 2004 - 6:55pm
6 years 7 weeks ago
An accused cop killer in Muskingum County decides to change his plea and avoid the death penalty.

29-year-old Henry Hager of Grove City originally plead not guilty in the death of Muskingum County Sheriff’s Deputy Robert Tanner Jr.

Muskingum County Prosecutor Mike Haddox says a hearing will be held this Friday where Hager is expected to officially change his plea to guilty.

Hager is charged with one count of aggravated murder with three death penalty...
February 25, 2004 - 4:02pm
6 years 7 weeks ago
Over two hundred Coca-Cola collectors from all around the country are in Zanesville the next three days.

Gayle Brooks and her husband traveled from Virginia to display their collection.
“It’s one of the most sought after collectables of memorabilia I think that’s out there today.” Says Brooks. Her and husband have been collectors for over 35 years.

Everything from cars to puzzles, to thermostats, to bottle cap earrings, it’s all at the convention and its all Coke....
February 25, 2004 - 3:22pm
6 years 7 weeks ago
Hundreds of local Catholic residents arrived in churches today to receive their ashes, to begin the Lenten season.

Lent is the preparation time before Easter that begins today on Ash Wednesday, where Catholics all around the world practice fasting, and refrain from eating meat, starting today and every Friday before Good Friday.

Catholics receive the cross on their forehead as a symbol of their asking for forgiveness for their sins. The Lenten season ends on Holy Thursday...
February 25, 2004 - 2:59pm
6 years 7 weeks ago
Another kitchen fire left a woman homeless. The Harrison Township Volunteer Fire Department got a call this morning about a home on fire in the Village of Philo.

The fire started a little before 8 this morning on 420 6th Street after the resident was frying food on the stove.

“The fire had started from a pan of grease on the stove. She had left it and went out and came back and the fire had started,” said Terry Moore, a volunteer Fire Fighter for Harrison Township....
February 24, 2004 - 7:20pm
6 years 7 weeks ago
State Senator Joy Padgett was in Zanesville today at the courthouse announcing new efforts to record the stories and personal experiences of America’s war veterans.

The new program known as “Heart to Heart” is part of the Veterans History Project which aims at preserving the memories of those who have defended our nation.

One of the most difficult aspects of the project is getting the veterans to speak out about their experiences. Many who have kept these memories bottled...
February 24, 2004 - 5:48pm
6 years 7 weeks ago
A kitchen fire in Zanesville this morning leaves one family homeless and two firefighters injured.

The fire began around 4:30 this morning on Sunset Avenue after a resident tried to fry food on the stove.

Robert, Kayla and Madison Gate were home at the time along with Krissy Ray and visitor Sean Thompson.

When the Zanesville Fire Department arrived the fire had already spread to the other parts of the duplex.

During a ventilation operation Fire...
February 24, 2004 - 1:22pm
6 years 7 weeks ago
The community came together to aid a local family who has hit hard times. Today at 10 A.M, friends and family mourned the loss of 12-year-old Steven Lipps of Zanesville.

Steven was born with Down Syndrome and died of complications from the flu. His mother, who has been in and out of the hospital for the past 6 months for her own medical problems, sought help from the community.

Snouffer says that the family received donations of a casket; vault and Sunshine Flowers on...
February 24, 2004 - 10:59am
6 years 7 weeks ago
A fire this morning in Zanesville chased some area residents from their homes.

Zanesville Fire Chief Dave Lacy says it happened around 4:30 this morning at 825 Sunset Avenue in a duplex.

Lacy says two children and three adults suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to Good Samaritan Hospital.

Lacy says the fire started in the kitchen area at the rear of the complex.

The fire appears to have been caused by a pan of cooking oil on the stove....
February 23, 2004 - 9:26pm
6 years 7 weeks ago
The Zanesville Fire Department can thank the City Council tonight for passing an emergency ordinance that will accept grants from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

These grants will provide our local fire department with the necessary equipment to ensure the safety of our firefighters. Fire Chief Dave Lacy was pleased the motion passed tonight and describes how it will affect our local firefighters. “This is just a grant that the federal government has come up with after 9-11...
February 23, 2004 - 7:03pm
6 years 7 weeks ago
It was a routine maintenance repair job that went bad. One worker for the Ohio Drilling Company collapsed as he worked on a water well in Riverside Park in Zanesville.

The accident happened around one o’clock this afternoon.
The Zanesville Fire and Police Departments and Community Ambulance were called to the scene.

The reason for his collapse at this time is unknown although it does not seem to be work related.

The man was taken to Good Samaritan...
For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio