Stories tagged with: Fire

November 14, 2010 - 10:01pm
5 years 36 weeks ago

A Zanesville family is homeless after a Sunday afternoon fire.

The Washington Township Fire Department was dispatched to John Burwell's home at 4545 Church Hill Road. Firefighters say they could see smoke from their firehouse, several miles away. When they arrived at the scene, Captain Adam Siddle says the structure was completely engulfed.

"Obviously it's a no go-in situation. You're pumping water in from the outside. It's hard to see anything under these circumstances,...

November 6, 2010 - 6:35pm
5 years 37 weeks ago

A Zanesville home suffers major damage following a late Saturday afternoon fire.

It happened around 3:45 p.m. at 3515 Ridge Avenue.

Smoke was visible several miles from the home. Upon arrival, crews say they found heavy smoke coming from the front door. After surveying the area, they then discovered flames around the backside of the structure. Zanesville Fire Lieutenant Martin Mercer says the fire appears to have started in the basement, but the exact cause of the fire has yet to...

November 6, 2010 - 3:54pm
5 years 37 weeks ago

The Coshocton Fire Department says overheating appears to be the cause of a fire at a local manufacturing processing plant.

Crews were dispatched to Wiley Organics on South Sixth Street just after 10:30 Saturday morning.

Captain William Arnold says the fire originated on the third floor of a five-story platform outside. Six fire departments fought the flames with an aerial ladder, and no one was sent onto the facility because Arnold says there were fears of a potential explosion...

November 5, 2010 - 5:38pm
5 years 37 weeks ago

A Zanesville family is homeless following an afternoon fire at an apartment complex.

It happened around 4:45, at 1112 Ridge Avenue just behind the Barnett's Fellowship Thrift Store. According to Zanesville Assistant Fire Chief Dave Huey the fire appears to have began in the kitchen area of apartment number five.

Huey says the apartment and its contents were destroyed. The homeowners were not home when the fire broke out.

Other apartments do not appear to have damage at this...

October 31, 2010 - 5:40pm
5 years 38 weeks ago

Six people are displaced after a fire in Newark.

It happened around 1:45 Sunday afternoon at 29 South Sixth Street.

Fire Captain Patrick Connor says it started in the rear of a three-unit apartment building. He says most of the fire was contained to the outside area, but it did affect a portion of the second floor in one of the units. The fire was put out in about a half hour. Conner estimates close to $25,000 in damage.

No one was injured in the incident. The Red Cross is...

October 21, 2010 - 8:58pm
5 years 40 weeks ago

A cornfield caught fire in Washington Township Thursday afternoon.

Fire officials say about an acre and a half of the field near the residence at 3955 Old Wheeling Road caught fire, which they say may have been caused by a downed powerline.

"Everything is dry right now and if any kind of spark or anything and with the wind and stuff today and it kind of spreads pretty quick," said Lt. Dave Buchanan of Washington Township Fire Department.

Several fire...

October 13, 2010 - 5:35pm
5 years 41 weeks ago

A fire at the Maple Terrace Apartments sends four people to the hospital.

Zanesville Fire Chief Dave Lacy says at around 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, fire crews responded to 2746 Maple Avenue. The fire was contained to apartment #308, but heavy smoke was also present on floors four and five.

"They had a very alert maintenance man on duty this morning up there and once he realized what was going on he grabbed the fire extinguisher and went in and hit it with that and actually...

October 13, 2010 - 12:58pm
5 years 41 weeks ago

The Zanesville Fire Department says one person was seriously hurt and three others injured in a Wednesday morning fire at an apartment complex.

 Fire Chief Dave Lacy says it happened around 7:30 am at 2746 Maple Avenue. This is the location of a five story apartment building with 100 living units owned by the Zanesville Metropolitan Housing Authority.

Lacy says a large number of tenants were assisted from floors 3,4, and 5 by firefighters and staff due to...

October 6, 2010 - 10:52pm
5 years 42 weeks ago

An apartment suffers extensive damage after an accidental fire in Nashport.

Fire Chief J.D. Johnson of the Falls Township Fire Department says at around 8:50 p.m. on Wednesday, a fire started in the kitchen of an apartment at 2855 N. Vista View Drive.

Residents were evacuated from the building while firefighters tended to the fire, which took about fifteen minutes to put out. The owner safely escaped the home uninjured.

Fire Chief Johnson says there is about...

October 6, 2010 - 2:39pm
5 years 42 weeks ago

Smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in a reported fire in half.

As a part of Fire Prevention Week 2010, the Frazeysburg Fire Department is reminding everyone to change the battery in their smoke detectors and to also be aware of what kind of smoke detector you have.

Fire officials say this is extremely important to insure that you and your family are protected. Early detection is crucial for escape time because a fire can take hold in as little as three minutes.

The U.S....

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio
Share: