Stories tagged with: Fire

April 10, 2010 - 4:24pm
5 years 44 weeks ago


Two adults and a baby were taken to the hospital Saturday after and early morning fire on Oakland Avenue in Zanesville.

Falls Township Fire Department Chief J.D. Johnson says Ryan Nichols was woken up by heat after his mattress caught fire. Nichols then woke up is girlfriend, Melissa Winsor who grabbed her nine week old daughter and all three escaped through a window. Nichols hurt his arm while busting out the window and all three were treated and released at Good Samaritan...

April 8, 2010 - 2:45pm
5 years 44 weeks ago

Authorities have released the name of the man killed in a fire Wednesday in Newark.

According to the Licking County Coroner's Office 37-year-old Eric Gerstner died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Sergeant Scott Snow with the Newark Police Department said the fire broke out shortly after 5 a.m. Wednesday morning in an apartment at 425 Mount Vernon Road. After firefighters extinguished the blaze they found the body.

The State Fire Marshal's Office is investigating. Spokesman Shane...

April 7, 2010 - 4:57pm
5 years 44 weeks ago

The Newark Police Department is investigating a dead body that was found at the scene of an early morning fire.

It happened at an apartment complex in the 400 block of Mount Vernon Road.

"Right now, it's not looking as though the death had any kind of criminal element. It also appears as though the fire was accidental, " says Sergeant Scott Snow.

Snow says firefighters extinguished the blaze and then went to investigate the scene where they happened to come...

April 7, 2010 - 8:42am
5 years 44 weeks ago

Newark Police say one man is dead after an early morning fire. It happened around 5:00 this morning at 425 Mt. Vernon Road. Sergeant Scott Snow says after fire fighters extinguished the fire a male body was discovered inside the apartment where the fire originated. Snow says there is no formal identification of the victim, but detectives are working to find out who it is and notify his family. The fire appears to be accidental and there does not appear to be any criminal involvement in...

April 4, 2010 - 5:02pm
5 years 44 weeks ago


An afternoon fire destroyed a New Lexington garage and injured one firefighter.

The pull out garage off Township Road 162A caught fire just after 2:00 p.m.

"We had the garage, flames coming out of the roof, half of it caved in and the woods were on fire," says Dyrall Newman the Battalion Chief with the Crooksville Fire Department.

The garage is a total loss and one fire fighter suffered first degree burns. Battalion Chief Newman says the...

March 31, 2010 - 3:45pm
5 years 45 weeks ago

The Zanesville Fire Department is calling two early morning, vacant garage fires arson.

Crews responded to a structure fire in the 400 block of Schaum Avenue around two a.m. where they found an intense fire. Fire Chief, Dave Lacy, says firefighters were able to get the blaze under control within a half hour. The structure is a total loss, and the heat of the fire also caused some collateral damage to three surrounding buildings.

Lacy says when crews began to investigate that fire...

March 29, 2010 - 4:59pm
5 years 45 weeks ago

The Zanesville Fire Department confirms the fire that occurred at 1449 Crown Street Saturday evening is arson.

Fire Chief, Dave Lacy, says the department's investigative team was able to find the source of the fire. It started in a room on the second story. Lacy says a pile of trash on the floor was ignited. The fire caused minimal damage to the inside of the vacant home.

There was an initial report that ZPD was looking for three white males, who were seen near the structure at...

March 29, 2010 - 4:56pm
5 years 45 weeks ago

Fire Chief, Dave Lacy, says his department is also dealing with a suspicious fire that took place early this morning at 1718 Ridge Avenue.

Crews were called to the vacant home just before two a.m. and found flames shooting out the front porch. Firefighters were able to tame the fire within a half hour, but it did cause extensive damage to the structure.

"We can't determine if there was anything, any relationship between the two of them, but there is that possibility, "...

March 29, 2010 - 4:54pm
5 years 45 weeks ago

The State Fire Marshall's Office says the cause of a Perry County fire at 121 Ohio 555 is still undetermined.

Spokesman Shane Cartmill says investigators are waiting to conduct interviews with the family, who are still on vacation.

The fire broke out early Saturday morning. The Crooksville Fire Department says it ripped through the home, which is considered a total loss.

March 28, 2010 - 7:46pm
5 years 45 weeks ago

A Perry County family is homeless after an early morning fire Saturday.

It occurred at 121 Ohio 555, just outside Portersville.

The Crooksville Fire Department says the home is a total loss.

The family was not home at the time. They were out of town.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. The State Fire Marshall's Office has been called in to evaluate the incident.

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio
Share: