Stories tagged with: Fire

December 2, 2013 - 5:00pm
1 year 30 weeks ago

Fires cause more deaths than any other type of disaster but they don't have to be deadly.

The Muskingum Valley Chapter of the Red Cross encourages everyone to take simple steps to be sure they are fire ready.

"Smoke detectors I think are number one,” explained Community Disaster Educator, Martha Staley. “Have them installed, especially near the sleeping areas and test them, make sure the batteries are working, and test them also so the family can hear what they...

November 25, 2013 - 6:51pm
1 year 31 weeks ago

At around 2:30 p.m. on Monday,  crews responded to a call about a structure fire on the 900 block of 3rd Street in Adams Mills. When Dresden Fire Department's Assistant Fire Chief Harold Wolford arrived, he says the home was in flames.

"We arrived to a structure fire, an investigation hasn't started yet but when we arrived we had heavy fire on the first floor that went up into the attic," explained Wolford.

Wolford says the landowners were at the house when...

November 20, 2013 - 7:41pm
1 year 32 weeks ago

South Zanesville Firefighter JT Roberts says a wood stove may have caused a home at 2410 Marion Drive to catch fire around 5 o'clock Wednesday night.

Roberts said when the renter got home, he noticed smoke coming from his trailer and called 911.

While the man's home is considered a total loss, his dog was found safe running around the yard.

Roberts said the Red Cross was called to assist the man with shelter.

Newton Township and the Roseville Fire...

November 20, 2013 - 6:45pm
1 year 32 weeks ago

The South Zanesville Fire Department is on the scene of a fire Wednesday night.  It happened around 5:10 p.m. at 2410 Marion Avenue.  The Roseville Fire Department is also on the scene of the mobile home fire.  Whiz News has a crew on the scene and will update this story.  There are no report of injuries.

November 17, 2013 - 1:39pm
1 year 33 weeks ago

The Cambridge Fire Department is continuing their investigation of a condemned house fire in Cambridge.

The fire department says that they responded to a structure fire located at 137 South 12th St. at approximately 8:19 p.m. Saturday night.

Upon arrival, the fire department says they witnessed both fire and smoke coming from a two- story wood frame home. Officials say there was significant damage to the attic and second story rooms. Flames quickly spread throughout the...

October 30, 2013 - 7:40pm
1 year 35 weeks ago

Last weekend there were 15 fires in the Red Cross' central and southeastern Ohio region. The Muskingum Valley Red Cross Executive Director Marlene Henderson says almost $10,000 was spent in assistance on the 82 people whose homes caught fire. Henderson says winter is a peak time for fires and wants to remind people to be cautious.

"Usually this time of year what we see is alternative heat sources," said Henderson. "Unfortunately it got cold very fast and stayed cold...

October 29, 2013 - 6:37pm
1 year 35 weeks ago

Black billowing smoke could be seen on the north side of town around 5:15 Tuesday evening due to a Zanesville plant catching fire.

According to Zanesville Fire Department Assistant Chief, Bob Long, the spot fire occurred at 1700 State Street, formerly known as Brockway Glass, because of a build up of grease on the ceiling of the plant. Now known as Zanesville OI, the plant produces various glass products.

"It's that grease and it's kind of thick, it's from the...

October 28, 2013 - 5:46pm
1 year 35 weeks ago

Fire erupted in a two story farmhouse early Monday morning in Glenford Township, destroying the structure.

Glenford Fire Department Chief Ricky Wright said just after midnight crews responded to a vacant house on Mound Builders Road, near the Licking and Perry county line. Wright said the structure was fully involved with flames,showing from the roof, windows and doors. The home had been vacant for 2 to 3 months and there were no injuries. Wright said the cause of the fire is...

September 3, 2013 - 11:43am
1 year 43 weeks ago

Fire fighters responded to a Luck Avenue home and when they arrived, the garage was fully involved in flames. Michele Huey and her husband lost their car in the fire and $300 worth of cosmetology tools that Michele needs for work.

"Not really sure what happened. My neighbor came over frantically beating on my door at 8:20 this morning," said Huey. "I opened my door, she said, 'your garage is on fire.' I came running out and when I first came out, there was just a little...

September 1, 2013 - 6:38pm
1 year 44 weeks ago

A fire destroys a Guernsey County truck maintenance facility in the early hours of Sunday Morning.

At approximately 3 a.m. the Pleasant City Fire Department was called to a fire behind a Duke and Duchess gas station at Exit 37 Repair Shop near Buffalo on State Route 313 near Interstate 77.

Once on scene they contained the blaze but later on in the afternoon they were sent out to the fire for a second time.

"We just got called back we had a rekindle and we are going...

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio
Share: