Stories tagged with: Fire

December 26, 2013 - 7:19am
2 years 34 weeks ago

The Ohio Department of Transportation says an area road that was closed Thursday morning due to a house fire just north of Crooksville has now reopened. O-Dot says State Route 345 at Township Road 169 in Perry County was closed in both directions after a fire broke out at a home at 7294 State Route 345.  The fire was reported just before 5 this morning. No injuries were reported.

December 19, 2013 - 10:13am
2 years 35 weeks ago

The Zanesville Fire Department was called to the scene of a house fire Thursday morning.  A home at 848 Dryden Road was showing heavy smoke and flames were showing at 9 a.m.  ZFD says everyone who lived in the home was able to escape safely. The Muskingum Valley Red Cross has been called to the scene of the fire to help the family who lived in the home.

December 13, 2013 - 6:33pm
2 years 36 weeks ago

A city of Zanesville official says Sixth St. will not be open by the December 13th weekend as once anticipated.

Due to the cold weather Thursday, equipment continued to freeze causing workers to be stalled in the demolition of a historic building that caught fire Sunday.

Officials say the street is still not safe enough for travel. They hope to have it open by late Monday.

At this time in the demolition process, crews are having to work by hand to remove portions...

December 9, 2013 - 6:28pm
2 years 36 weeks ago

Fire erupted Sunday morning at 19 South Sixth Street, destroying a historic Zanesville building.

Zanesville firefighters battled the blaze for several hours, initially from the inside, until they reached the fourth floor when they discovered most of the floor and roof to the were already burned away.

"At that point, since it is condemned, they decided to abandon and go defensive,” explained ZFD Assistant Fire Chief, Dave Huey. “Instead of risking people inside....

December 8, 2013 - 1:58pm
2 years 37 weeks ago

The Zanesville Fire Department is currently on the scene of a structure fire in downtown Zanesville. Falls Township is assisting.

The fire was reported at 19 South Sixth Street. The street is closed from Main Street to South Street. 

A WHIZ crew is at the scene and will provide more information as it becomes available.  Continue to check back for the latest details.

December 2, 2013 - 5:00pm
2 years 38 weeks ago

Fires cause more deaths than any other type of disaster but they don't have to be deadly.

The Muskingum Valley Chapter of the Red Cross encourages everyone to take simple steps to be sure they are fire ready.

"Smoke detectors I think are number one,” explained Community Disaster Educator, Martha Staley. “Have them installed, especially near the sleeping areas and test them, make sure the batteries are working, and test them also so the family can hear what they...

November 25, 2013 - 6:51pm
2 years 39 weeks ago

At around 2:30 p.m. on Monday,  crews responded to a call about a structure fire on the 900 block of 3rd Street in Adams Mills. When Dresden Fire Department's Assistant Fire Chief Harold Wolford arrived, he says the home was in flames.

"We arrived to a structure fire, an investigation hasn't started yet but when we arrived we had heavy fire on the first floor that went up into the attic," explained Wolford.

Wolford says the landowners were at the house when...

November 20, 2013 - 7:41pm
2 years 39 weeks ago

South Zanesville Firefighter JT Roberts says a wood stove may have caused a home at 2410 Marion Drive to catch fire around 5 o'clock Wednesday night.

Roberts said when the renter got home, he noticed smoke coming from his trailer and called 911.

While the man's home is considered a total loss, his dog was found safe running around the yard.

Roberts said the Red Cross was called to assist the man with shelter.

Newton Township and the Roseville Fire...

November 20, 2013 - 6:45pm
2 years 39 weeks ago

The South Zanesville Fire Department is on the scene of a fire Wednesday night.  It happened around 5:10 p.m. at 2410 Marion Avenue.  The Roseville Fire Department is also on the scene of the mobile home fire.  Whiz News has a crew on the scene and will update this story.  There are no report of injuries.

November 17, 2013 - 1:39pm
2 years 40 weeks ago

The Cambridge Fire Department is continuing their investigation of a condemned house fire in Cambridge.

The fire department says that they responded to a structure fire located at 137 South 12th St. at approximately 8:19 p.m. Saturday night.

Upon arrival, the fire department says they witnessed both fire and smoke coming from a two- story wood frame home. Officials say there was significant damage to the attic and second story rooms. Flames quickly spread throughout the...

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio
Share: