Stories tagged with: Gas Leak

March 10, 2015 - 6:24pm
30 weeks 11 hours ago

The Zanesville Fire Department was called to the scene of a gas leak Tuesday evening.

A home at 463 Hedgewood Avenue has filled with natural gas, and the occupants of the home as well as residences to the north and south were evacuated. The owners of the home across the street were instructed to remain inside. Lieutenant Doug Hobson of the Zanesville Fire Department says there was no way to tell if the house was close to exploding from the leak, but precautionary measures were taken....

March 10, 2015 - 5:22pm
30 weeks 11 hours ago
***Update*** The scene is now clear and the police department has reopened Hedgewood Avenue -- no injuries were reported.***

The Zanesville Fire Department is dealing with a natural gas leak Tuesday evening. A home at 463 Hedgewood Avenue has filled with natural gas and the occupants of the home and two other residences have been evacuated as a precaution. The Muskingum County Emergency Management Agency and Columbia Gas have also been called to the scene of the leak The fire department...

May 29, 2012 - 11:27am
3 years 18 weeks ago

New Lexington Emergency officials are currently evacuating anyone within a two block radius of a large gas leak.

The leak was reported around 10:30 Tuesday morning in the area of Mill Street and Maple Heights.

There's no report of injuries and crews are on the scene.

WHIZ has a crew on the way to New Lexington. We'll bring you more as it becomes available.

October 10, 2011 - 7:39am
3 years 51 weeks ago

The Zanesville Day Nursery on Linden Avenue is open after a situation involving a stove Monday morning.

Around 6a.m. Zanesville Police and Fire were called out after gas was smelled in the building.

The problem was traced to a malfunctioning burner on the stove. Authorities said they shut off the gas to the stove and cleared the building.

Again the nursery is open Monday.

April 28, 2011 - 4:55pm
4 years 23 weeks ago

Part of downtown Cambridge was shut down Thursday afternoon, after workers struck a natural gas line.

Cambridge Fire Chief Rick Long says it happened around noon on the North 500 block of Wheeling Avenue. As soon as crews arrived they immediately shut down the area. Columbia Gas was called in to make the necessary repairs.

"They're putting a new water line in, and they just happened to hit the gas line, and it pulled it out from the main line" says Fire Chief Rick Long...

April 20, 2011 - 5:31am
4 years 24 weeks ago

A portion of the Village Philo in Muskingum County is being evacuated Wednesday morning due to a natural gas leak.

The Harrison Township Fire Department can't say at this time how many people have been evacuated as they're just beginning the count.

They did said that the evacuations are mainly affecting Main and Market Streets and that high winds produced damage to the area.

All residents of those streets are being taken to the Harrison Township Fire...

April 29, 2010 - 4:36pm
5 years 23 weeks ago

A natural gas leak caused some major problems in Newark Thursday.

It happened around 10 a.m.  near the BP Station at Mount Vernon Road and Deo Drive and forced evacuations in that area.

Newark Fire Chief Jack Stickradt says the problem occurred after a natural gas line was struck by construction workers realigning Deo Drive. He says one of the contractors drilled through a high pressure natural gas line , a rather large line around 8" in...

February 22, 2010 - 6:18pm
5 years 32 weeks ago

Warmer temperatures are causing icicles to melt and fall off homes, but that can cause even more problems for homeowners if they fall near a gas line.

"If one comes down and you hear any kind of hissing noise, blowing noise, or, of course, if you smell gas, make sure you open a window, get out of the house, go to a neighbor, directly call 911, and then call the gas company, " says Keely Warden of the Muskingum Valley Red Cross.

Warden says opening a window will...

December 22, 2009 - 5:32pm
5 years 41 weeks ago

West Main Street in Newark is re-opened after a gas leak earlier this afternoon.

It happened around 3:30 p.m. near Licking Memorial Hospital. The Newark Fire Department says a company was digging in the area and cut a gas line.

It was determined no evacuations were needed at the hospital but a portion of West Main Street was closed for about a half hour.

The Newark Fire Department says the gas company, Energy Co-Op, responded and has deemed the area safe.

November 16, 2009 - 6:47pm
5 years 46 weeks ago

Philo residents who live near the Rockies Express Pipeline are back in their homes after a gas leak near Irish Ridge Road on Saturday, but some are still on edge.

Muskingum County Commissioner, Brian Hill, says that is completely understandable.

"I'm sure it made them nerous. It would make me as well. Again, I think the responders-as in any kind of accident-responded well and did their jobs. I guess that would help me feel somewhat settled, " says Hill.

Hill says...

For the best experience, use one of the following browsers:      Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
Follow Us:  WHIZ-TV      Z92 Radio      AM1240      @WHIZnewscom      @WHIZweather      @Z92Radio